Husband who paid drug addict just £1,000 to kill his wife
Husband who paid drug addict just £1,000 to kill his wife in frenzied stabbing attack because he was having an affair with her sister is convicted of murder

A man who paid a drug addict just £1,000 to kill his wife because he was having an affair with her sister was convicted has been convicted of murder.

Mother-of-two Amina Bibi was stabbed at least 70 times in the attack at the couple's flat in Forest Gate, east London.

Her 11-year-old son found her dying in a pool of blood when he returned to his home after forgetting his homework on the morning of Friday September 13.

Husband Mohamed Ali, 65, was heavily in debt and having an affair with his sister-in-law in Pakistan when he approached drug addict Frederick Best, 47.

Mrs Bibi had significant savings in the house and officers believe the debt and affair could have been a motive for Ali to have his wife murdered.
Ali did the school run to give himself an alibi but had already given a key to the flat to Best.

But the killer was disturbed by the 11-year-old after the stabbing and fled. Mrs Bibi, 43, who had been married 14 years, was stabbed more than 70 times and pronounced dead at the scene.
Best claimed he was offered £1,000 to burgle the flat but had entered to find Mrs Bibi's body. Ali denied he was having an affair.

Guilty: Crack cocaine addict Frederick Best claimed that he was paid £1,000 to burgle Ali's flat. He was convicted of murder
Guilty: Crack cocaine addict Frederick Best claimed that he was paid £1,000 to burgle Ali's flat. He was convicted of murder.
But police identified Ali on CCTV speaking with another man outside the flat prior to the murder taking place.

Officers seized Ali's two mobile phones. One contained family and friend's contacts but the other held only numbers for Pakistan and a UK mobile phone number called frequently at the time of the murder.

This turned out to be the number of Best, who also matched the description of the male seen speaking to Ali on the CCTV prior to the murder taking place. Best was arrested at his home four days after the murder. Ali was arrested soon afterwards.

The pair were both charged with the murder of Amina Bibi on Thursday, 19 September.
Ali knew Best from when he owned a shop in Forest Gate in the early 1990s. Best used to hang around the shop and Ali knew that he had a drug habit.

They lost touch but met some 15 years later by chance in 2013 and swapped numbers. It was then that police believe Ali hatched a plan to have his wife killed by Best.

The crack cocaine addict claimed in interview that he was paid £1,000 to burgle Ali's flat. He said that he went into the address to carry out the fake burglary and found her lying on the floor covered in blood. He alleged that someone had attacked her before he entered.

But Ali and Best were convicted of murder at Woolwich Crown Court. They will be sentenced at a later date.

Detective Chief Inspector Dave Whellams, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: 'This was a cold and calculated act planned and devised by Mohamed Ali to have the mother of his two sons killed.

'He recruited Fred Best, a man with a drug dependency, to carry out the murder for the price of some jewellery and cash. He arranged for Best to attend his flat on the morning in question where he left open the communal doors allowing Best access to his flat.

'He also gave Best a key to his front door to gain entry to the flat while Ali used the 'school run' to provide himself with an alibi, secure in the knowledge that his unsuspecting wife was at home alone.

Within a minute of Ali leaving with his youngest child, Best entered and carried out a ferocious attack on Mrs Bibi, stabbing her approximately 70 times.

'It was during this attack that Best was disturbed by the eldest child - who had returned to the home address on realising that he had forgotten his home work.

'The sound of desperate knocking on the window and front door caused Best to panic and flee.
'Unfortunately Amina Bibi's son will have to carry with him the tragic memory of the events of that day forever.

'Although Ali played the part of a loving and concerned husband and father, his story soon began to unravel.

'Both he and Best were arrested within days of the offence and although they tried to cover their tracks it soon became apparent that they were responsible. This was a complicated investigation solved by hard-working and dedicated officers.

'This is a tragic case which has left two children without their mother and father, and also with them the knowledge that one of the parents was responsible for the death of the other.
'I only hope that over time the memory of it will fade in the minds of the children and that they will be able to overcome this tragic and brutal incident.'